"In the Vicinity of 317 East 32nd St."

General Discussion
erjo81

"In the Vicinity of 317 East 32nd St."

Postby erjo81 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:39 pm

Hello from Sweden!
My name is Eric Liftig and lead a band here in Gothenburg called Wow. Our group recently released our first CD entitled " In the Vicinity of 317 East 32nd St.",which as the title implies focuses on music associated with Lennie Tristano. We also perform tunes by Warne Marsh and Ted Brown. Please check out our group site at wowliftig/myspace.com or at eldrecords.se Thanks so much !
Eric Liftig

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:58 am

Wow (named after the Lennie Tristano tune) is a band which hails from Gothenburg, Sweden. In tribute to Lennie the CD is called “In The Vicinity of 317 East 32nd Streetâ€

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:33 am

“Perhaps the next step after bebop will be collective improvisation on a much higher plane [than in Dixieland jazz] because the individual lines will be more complex.â€

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:17 am

My theory is that during the transition from traditional (New Orleans) jazz to swing, episodes of so-called free jazz regularly occurred at the climax of jam sessions, episodes the spirit of which were independently revived two and three decades later by Lennie Tristano and Ornette Coleman, and now several decades after that by Eric Liftig.

Because of its informality, the jam session is--and I suppose will always remain--the least documented aspect of improvisational music. (I haven’t done the literary research--that is, read first hand descriptions of what unrecorded jam sessions were like--but the Online Etymology Dictionary on “jamâ€
Last edited by Marv Friedenn on Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:07 am

I slip the Wow CD into the player and suddenly I’m strolling down East 32nd Street on a sunny spring day in 1950 happy as a Goth in Gotham; a contact high from Lennie’s melody line which floats between flutters; which rotates counterclockwise and clockwise at the same time but at different speeds like the illusory and actual spokes of a rapidly rotating wheel. That’s when it hits me that “coolâ€

Return to “Lennie Tristano”