General Discussion
jostber

Do The Math - Article

Postby jostber » Tue May 20, 2008 9:59 am

A long article on Lennie inspired by Eunmi Shim's book here:

http://thebadplus.typepad.com/dothemath ... stano.html

keith

Postby keith » Tue May 20, 2008 12:39 pm

I haven't had time to read the entire thing, or all of the digressions, but I just love the juxtaposition in the title Lennie Tristano/Barack Obama!

The blog is preceded by a "WTF" disclosure regarding the exceptional length of the post - about 18k words. Very interesting take on the race issue and a seemingly (like I said, haven't read the entire thing) exhaustive treatment of some older race threads. Crouch is still beating up on Lennie's legacy as an innovator.

Personally, it's really a stretch for me to think of the offspring of a southern italian immigrant family who grew up in Chicago's little italy as "white"... Whatever Stanley, maybe you need to "Forget Lennie Tristano" too.

keith

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:53 pm

I can't quite figure out who wrote the "Do The Math" article. Do you guys know?

Adam

Postby Adam » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:23 pm

Hi

My guess would be pianist Ethan Iverson. He writes most of the Do the Math blog

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:42 pm

Thanks, Adam. I'll direct my response to Ethan Iverson.

jostber

Postby jostber » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:04 pm

keith wrote:I haven't had time to read the entire thing, or all of the digressions, but I just love the juxtaposition in the title Lennie Tristano/Barack Obama!

The blog is preceded by a "WTF" disclosure regarding the exceptional length of the post - about 18k words. Very interesting take on the race issue and a seemingly (like I said, haven't read the entire thing) exhaustive treatment of some older race threads. Crouch is still beating up on Lennie's legacy as an innovator.

Personally, it's really a stretch for me to think of the offspring of a southern italian immigrant family who grew up in Chicago's little italy as "white"... Whatever Stanley, maybe you need to "Forget Lennie Tristano" too.

keith

Mr.Crouch is getting it in this thread:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index. ... =25129&hl=

He's not all too popular there.

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:40 pm

“As for Lennie Tristano,â€

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:55 pm

“Rather than thinking of Tristano as a jazz player,â€

B T

Postby B T » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:16 am

Marv Friedenn wrote:... decades later with punk rock ...

We also have to take into account the historical implications of the imaginary journalistic profession. From a musician's point of view, I don't think anyone wants to give these self-appointed arbiters of "taste" too much credit re: influencing the public. What happened with the music press when punk hit is a great example.

As soon as the Sex Pistols hit the scene in '77 pop journalists were foaming at the mouth ... all the classic rock bands of the seventies were immediately villified and branded as "dinosaur rock". And every year since ... to this day they still write about how punk retired those dinosaur bands and put them in their place.

Yet year after year, a band like Led Zeppelin (my personal favorite) - their entire back catalog is still selling very respectable numbers. To this day. And I don't even meet 1 person in 1,000 that actually listens to the Sex Pistols on a regular basis. Does anyone?

This kind of crap remains in print long enough for researchers to pass along in their (ahem) theses.

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:44 am

When I write above that Lennie was bored with the jazz solo, I mean with trading choruses with other musicians in a group context. I don't include the solos on "The New Tristano" where, hermetically sealed off from the jazz community, Lennie composes spontaneously with an overdubbed, "shadow band."

This is not a reply to BT whose post I just noticed.

Return to “Lennie Tristano”