The Bill Evans Connection

General Discussion
jostber

The Bill Evans Connection

Postby jostber » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:53 am

ryan

Postby ryan » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:30 pm

In the Bill Evans biography by Peter Pettinger How My Heart Sings, there is more on the Tristano influence. Bill Evans is quoted as in that article, but it elaborates from there, saying that he was more into Konitz and Marsh than Tristano himself...even though he wasn't discounting that influence either...being that Tristano would have been the main influence on the two horn players. "The germinal influence," is the phrase used.

Also, the book mentions that Bill Evans weighed his college studies against going to study privately with Lennie...which he never wound up doing.

The influence, as you may know, is very clear in Bill's linear concept. Especially with the George Russell band. There is a 25 minute video on youtube with him as a featured soloist, at one point taking an unaccompanied single-line solo, and you can tell he'd been digging Lee and Warne.

I think on Lee Konitz Live at the Half Note, Bill Evans sounds like Lennie Tristano in the right hand, and Bill Evans in the left (with what few chords he plays the whole time). Similar moments on Portrait in Jazz.

jostber

Postby jostber » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:41 am

I was just listening to How My Heart Sings yesterday. Great album. :)

Return to “Lennie Tristano”