New Book Contains Chapter On Lennie

General Discussion
Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:59 pm

BT, I could tell you stories about the goings-on in the closets of the Heidelburg Broom Museum that would stand your hair on end!

Seriously, as you know, survival requires a certain amount of dirty work. (Dirty work is whatever you HAVE to do to make a living.) My idea is to combine all the ways we make a living into a LIVING-MAKER MACHINE (school included) which would probably only require a skeleton crew of a measly hundred million constantly shifting dirty workers (drawn from a pool which includes all of us) in order to float the species.

How and when? People pretend they're sheep so long as the shepherd provides green pasture. But when the meadow dries up (or the oil runs out!) they lose faith in the experts. At such a juncture they have an opportunity to decide: sheep or Bopeep. It's having the opportunity that's important. What they decide is up to them. For if you COMPEL them to be free . . .well, the contradiction is obvious.

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:39 am

BT, if you haven't already, lay your hands on Hommage a Tristano. I'd like to discuss the music with you. I think the CD provides just the breeze we need to billow the sails of our protest art vs art for art discourse.

B T

Postby B T » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:40 am

und?

B T

Postby B T » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:42 am

Marv Friedenn wrote:How and when? People pretend they're sheep so long as the shepherd provides green pasture. But when the meadow dries up (or the oil runs out!) they lose faith in the experts. At such a juncture they have an opportunity to decide: sheep or Bopeep. It's having the opportunity that's important. What they decide is up to them. For if you COMPEL them to be free . . .well, the contradiction is obvious.

The idiots just find another guru.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss ..."

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:28 pm

BT, if you think nothing will work, suddenly you're on the side of the people who hope you think nothing will work. By your own admission, that's the wrong side. If I can prove that whether there's a solution or not is indeterminable, then the weight of the argument falls on whether you THINK there's a solution or not. Falls, in other words, on what you really want. "Feeling overrules logic without however unseating it . . . ."(Sermon) Just the way Lennie plays when he's on! That's the state of mind in which one decides.

B T

Postby B T » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:02 am

Marv Friedenn wrote:BT, if you think nothing will work ...

Its not that. If I sound resigned its because I know the unlikelihood of the first step. Humankind has to outgrow religion. That doesn't mean spirituality. They are two different things. Consider the old Asian proverb about the finger pointing to the moon. DON'T LOOK AT THE FINGER!!! " ... or you will miss all that heavenly glory." Getting hung up on the finger is what religion IS. People have been killing each other over it ever since it was ...

What came first, the finger or the moon?

THINK, people!
Last edited by B T on Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

B T

Postby B T » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:09 am

Marv Friedenn wrote:BT, if you think nothing will work, suddenly you're on the side of the people who hope you think nothing will work ...

Religion is their bread and butter. Its what keeps them in business.

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:00 pm

BT, I could contest the superiority of the moon over the finger (the objective over the subjective) but I see that you are being rhetorical rather than deliberative. In fact, you're shouting. I now suspect that you suffered some sort of trauma connected with a religious organization. Perhaps now is the time to step forward and redress your grievance. You'll never have a more sympathetic ear.

B T

Postby B T » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:14 pm

Marv Friedenn wrote:I now suspect that you suffered some sort of trauma connected with a religious organization.

No, thank God ... (ahem) ...

It was culture shock: Moving from a reasonably tolerant area to a socially retarded one at a young age.

In the former, it was a given that various belief systems existed within society and were to be respected as such. In the latter, predominantly Protestant (of the fundamentalist persuasion), it was a "given" that everyone on the planet was destined for eternal damnation except for those who interpretted the Bible literally ... and believed!

("have faith, my child")

Back then, I laughed it off, just like I did when I was "exposed" to Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. However, one's intelligence does get insulted after a while.

You just have to go out and talk to these people to see where the anger comes from.

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:39 am

The telling phrase here is "one's intelligence does get insulted after a while." But I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Do you mean that's it's an indignity to have to endure such stupidity day after day? If so, what's her response when you remonstrate with your mom that this is not the place for you? Forgive me, BT, but I find it hard to believe that the former wife of Lennie Tristano wouldn't be sensitive to this issue and offer some form of cultural compensation. My own people were not far from the bottom of the culture. Still, when my family moved to central Massachusetts and my sister had to transfer from urbane Boston Latin to podunk Clinton High, she bitched and moaned without surcease until after a year we moved to nearby, middling-sized Worcester. I, on the other hand, who was only eight years old when we left Clinton, was terribly disappointed to leave an area surrounded by a primeval forest. I know you were a mere toddler when you arrived in Pennsylvania. But at some point you must have started raising hell.

Return to “Lennie Tristano”