Dear Lennie

General Discussion
B T

Postby B T » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:29 am

Marv Friedenn wrote:I'm delighted that BT has designated this site a cyberruin. I drink in the silence heavy with hearsay, where fable and fact interact without prejudice.

Special prize to the most convincing My Christmas With Lennie story.

Marv

Not the site, just the thread (as in "topic").
Not a ruin, but a finished chapter.
Awed by the pristine sheen of a multifaceted crystal,
I pause and reflect ... ah ...

No prizes to be given.

The revolution will not be televised.

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:21 am

It's quiet when the thread is dead and whatever's left is silenced.

B T

Postby B T » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:13 pm

psst ...

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:21 am

The wall of this thread that winds through eternity is paper thin. I think I hear someone taking a psst. If he stands before a mirror he might be me whispering to himself as if I were he.

Clearly the law of identity, A equals A, stands in need of revision!

A does not equal A unless the A's agree to be each other as well as themselves. ("That's the difference," Lennie might say, "between playing together and banding together. Cats who can be themselves with each other play together. But cats who are willing to risk themselves by being each other band together."

A=A. One A calls across Equality River to another, "If I'm me and I'm you, who exactly am I talking to?"

("Shit, man, if the law of identity goes, we all might as well be Rosa Luxemburg!")

("No, man, Rosa is not a singer although she did have a great voice.")

"Psst", by the way, derives from the Greek "epos" which means "word" as in "May I have a word with you?" Epos, contracted to psst, is what the prostitutes in ancient Athens, both male and female, mostly slave labor, whisper to attract the attention of passers-by. So when you whisper psst, know that you're leaning against a wall tired as hell, hoping indifferently for a firing squad or a customer whichever comes first.
Last edited by Marv Friedenn on Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B T

Postby B T » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:38 am

Marv Friedenn wrote:So when you whisper psst, know that you're leaning against a wall tired as hell, hoping indifferently for a firing squad or a customer whichever comes first.

And when you have a book published by Psst Press?

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:20 pm

It means that changing the world begins with word of mouth, one at a time, time after time. When you really want it, it pays to go slowly.

Also, by commodifying the truth in the form of a book, I take my place among the prostitutes of capitalism. One has to start somewhere. Besides, it takes a whore to kill a whore.

B T

Postby B T » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:22 pm

You just might be in good company - well, at least up to page 23. You may have your back up against the wall facing the firing squad, but you are standing between Jared Diamond and Howard Zinn. Those guys that are about to pull the trigger won't care out of whose pocket that old beat up copy of De Rerum Natura fell. But they will go home and tell their children that they did what they did for IESUSNAZARENVSREXIVDAEORVM.

BTW, when someone whispers psst it could also be a tapping on the shoulder as if to say, "psst, hey man ... wake up" ...

Romans 13:1-7

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:39 am

What, BT, I should fear a drive-by crucifixion?

I'm here to raise consciousness, not hell. What people do with it is clearly up to them.

Furthermore, after you've been whirled around in the maelstrom--Poe's story is about facing death. Is that what Lennie had in mind?--then, like Paul Newman at the end of "The Hustler," no matter if they threaten to break every bone in your body, you have a shot to make!

On the other hand, I wonder what happened to Lennie's "MF" tie clip, the one Peter Ind mentions in his book? If it's in your possession you might lend it to me for protection.

"Psst" of course means anything you want it to. What amazes me is how a sound carries from ancient Greece to Clinton Street and still attracts attention!

Don't worry. Jesus and I are pals. I wouldn't have referred to his great speech in my title without his permission.

B T

Postby B T » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:16 pm

Marv Friedenn wrote:"Psst" of course means anything you want it to.

It could even mean nothing at all! Or simply that the thread is not dead and all is not silent. Notice how the little topic icon has not stopped twitching? Final death throes of "Dear Lennie" or the guests just can't get enough? We're coming up on 2000 hits!

That was the first psst. The last one was more for the guests than the poster. I could explain myself but I would offend even more people than you do! I think it belongs on your book thread ... but what the hell ... shall we go for 3000?

Fear nothing Marv. I've never seen the tie clip, but it would suit you. The initials match!

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:19 am

Meet you at the Sermon thread.

Return to “Lennie Tristano”