how I got into the Lennie scene

Artists of the Tristano School
milo

how I got into the Lennie scene

Postby milo » Tue May 23, 2006 8:11 pm

I grew up on Long Island. Across the street from me lived Dave and Steve Frank. They both studied with Lennie. Dave played piano in the Larry Meyer Quartet while he was in high school. Now, Dave plays all over the world and is a master pianist and teacher. His brother Steve, my best friend, also plays great piano. We hung out with those guys and saw them play millions of times. They wrote amazing originals and played wicked fast tempos. So, one time I took Steve to his lesson with Lennie when he was a teenager and met Lennie.

Also, tenor sax player Jimmy Halperin lived in our neighborhood and he studied with Lennie and Sal.

That's my story.

- Jack

Tim Heenan

Postby Tim Heenan » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:10 pm

I, too grew up on LI . A friend of mine( Steve Zucker ) was taking guitar lessons from Larry Meyers.
I wound up studying with Larry for a couple of years. Larry had studied with Lennie and was one of the best jazz guitar players I've ever seen or had the pleasure to play with. I was already getting into Bird and Dolphy and 'Trane and Larry directed me towards the whole Tristano School of players. I remember going to Carnagie Hall for the Lennie Tristano Memorial Concert after LT died, and being totally floored at the quality of all the players who participated.

Virtuosic1

Postby Virtuosic1 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:22 am

Tim Heenan wrote:I, too grew up on LI . A friend of mine( Steve Zucker ) was taking guitar lessons from Larry Meyers.
I wound up studying with Larry for a couple of years. Larry had studied with Lennie and was one of the best jazz guitar players I've ever seen or had the pleasure to play with. I was already getting into Bird and Dolphy and 'Trane and Larry directed me towards the whole Tristano School of players. I remember going to Carnagie Hall for the Lennie Tristano Memorial Concert after LT died, and being totally floored at the quality of all the players who participated.

I was there also, in attendance at the Tristano Memorial Concert. I was studying with Lennie shortly before his demise.
My version of Tristano's "Scene and Variation":

http://d.turboupload.com/d/1410287/R1_0010.MP3.html

A file with examples of my improvising:

http://d.turboupload.com/d/229801/R1_0001.MP3.html

jaleebi22

Re: how I got into the Lennie scene

Postby jaleebi22 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:15 am

I was already getting into Bird and Dolphy and 'Trane and Larry directed me towards the whole Tristano School of players..!!!!!!!
Get fast success in learn how to speak spanish and learning spanish for kids exam questions by using our learn spanish fast - learnalanguage.com and vcaa Best Wishes.

Return to “Artists”