The Unissued Copenhagen Studio Recordings: Warne Marsh Trio

All things Warne
Marv Friedenn

The Unissued Copenhagen Studio Recordings: Warne Marsh Trio

Postby Marv Friedenn » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:43 am

Jack Goodwin kindly directed me to Counterpoint Music to acquire the CD, but they haven't answered the phone in three months, and yet someone must pay the bill for it to keep ringing. And then this Brit CD company advertised it, but they order it from somewhere else, perhaps from Counterpoint Music. The reason I must have this CD is because Orsted Pederson also played with Lennie on Lennie's European tour, and so I suspect that both Warne and Orsted recall Lennie when they play together, and that's the formula for perfectly integrated improvisations. Anyhow, if anyone can direct me even down a dangerous alley at the end of which is the CD, well, I'm not a rich man but I'll reward you with a copy of SERMON ON THE FLATS: THE EGALITARIAN ALTERNATIVE TO FORTUNE WORSHIP which contains a chapter on Lennie.

Marv Friedenn
marvfriedenn@yahoo.com

jostber

Postby jostber » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:56 am

Marv Friedenn

Quartet available but Trio (STCD 8278) out of print

Postby Marv Friedenn » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:52 pm

Jostein,

Really appreciate your help but, alas, to no avail. None of the leads panned out. The Quartet, which I have, is available but the Trio is out of print. There's a giant Amoeba Record Store in Hollywood a few Metro stations away. Look for me there among the used cd's! Maybe I'll get lucky.

Marv
marvfriedenn@yahoo.com
10/26/06

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:45 am

Jesus, there's been sixty-six vues (perhaps by the same person sixty six times, but unlikely) and no one offers to burn me a fix. I need to hear that trio. I need to hear the three people most able to reproduce Lennie play together. I'td be Lennie with six hands. What he always wanted in his wildest moments when he saw two thirds of the triplets and waved hello. And now the triplets defying science voice their unity. Yes, by bebop, I'm begging. No I'm not. I'm swapping. Help me with the trio and I'll dislcose the jubilee clause that must be included in every artist contract to insure that should the producer lose interest in the product, the product reverts to the copyright holder.

Marv

marvfriedenn@yahoo.com

jostber

Postby jostber » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:13 am

You can try this seller who seems to have a used copy of the Unissued Copenhagen Trio CD:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 21-3847962

- Jostein
Last edited by jostber on Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

jostber

Postby jostber » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:15 am

Here's an article with some info on the Copenhagen recordings:

http://www.jazzhouse.org/library/?read=lange3'

- Jostein

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:11 pm

Hi Jostein, thanks again.

I notice that Art Lange also had trouble placing Dave Cliff in the Marsh Quartet Copenhagen recording. Everyone else is accountable. How does Cliff fit in? I wrestled with this problem for a long time. Then I said to myself, "'member how Django memorized Louie's solos when Louie toured Europe in the 1920's, so that Django's first chorus is always a tribute to Louie? Well, pretend Dave Cliff has memorized Lester Young." No sooner done then Dave made perfect sense! Now, I have no proof that Dave Cliff ever leaned Lester Young. Nevertheless, I find it wondrous strange that a mere simile--Dave is like Lester--makes light of ignorance.

I imagine your pleasure listening to the Tristano Marathon and am happy for you.

Marv

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:51 am

Who if not Lennie Tristano or Johann Bach or Warne Marsh would ever think of turning a corny tune like "When Your Smiling" into music!

Return to “Warne Marsh”