Richard Tabnik

Artists of the Tristano School
Adam

Richard Tabnik

Postby Adam » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:31 pm

Hi from New Zealand

Anyone know his work?

I've got 3 of his albums and 'Ontology' with the Connie Crothers Qt. Great stuff!!
I'm planning on studying with Richard next year and can't wait to here him play live. I'm still trying to work out somewhere to stay in New York. Does anyone have any suggestions?

check out Richard's website http://www.inch.com/~rctabnik/

By for now
Adam

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:39 pm

"Does anyone have any suggestions?"

Yeah, bring money.

How long are you gonna be in the NYC area, you want to share space, have your own space, buy a joint, what? Little more info please.

The general guideline though is that you are going to be hard pressed to find a space to share for under $500 a month (that's just your part). Food, utilities, hanging out money, that's all on top of that.

I don't really see Richard gigging around that much, there seems to be a pretty regular session at Connie's studio.

Adam

Postby Adam » Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:38 pm

Hi
Thanks for the reply

I can stay in the US for 90 days without a VISA. So I'm going to probably do two 90 day trips. I still have to talk to the Embassy properly about it - as you can get a six month tourist visa, so that's an option.

As far as accommodation goes I'm hoping to board with somebody. That will probably mean a few hours on the subway/train to get to Manhatten, but that's ok with me.

Plus, if I'm able to get any grant money etc that might change things.

See you in NYC (sometime!)
Adam

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:25 pm

OK, so $1000-1200 for food/expenses, $1500 for rent (unless you've got somewhere to crash for free)and another $500-1500 for cover charges/minimums etc. and you've got a ballpark for how much to bring.

The outer boroughs aren't that far away, it's only about an hour from midtown to the end of the line on pretty much all of the subway lines. Williamsburg (where Richard is at) to 14th St. is only 2 stops on the L train, about 10/15 minutes.

If you haven't already, you should check out a tenor player named Jimmy Halperin. He has a couple of records out under his own name -PSALM, which is a duo recording of his lines with Sal Mosca, and CYCLE LOGICAL, a trio recording with bass and drums. Very nice. He's also on a recording with Warne Marsh called BACK HOME.

Adam

Postby Adam » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:51 pm

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Jimmy Halperin is definitely on my list of players to check out. Richard mentioned that they’d been playing together a bit and that he’s sounding great. Apart from the internet, his albums are difficult to get out here…I’m hoping to get one before I go.

I’m also hoping to interview some musicians while I’m in NYC. I’ve got some friends that work in radio and have jazz programs that I’ll be able to get them played on.

Bye for now

Rick

Jimmy Halperin Update

Postby Rick » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:54 pm

So here is an update on Jimmy Halperin. In 1999 Jimmy and guitar wiz Larry Meyer teamed up with Joe Ascione on drums and Pete Chivily on Bass, Named themself Liquid Jazz and released a CD called Liquidity. In 2001 this quartet recorded the follow up release titled Liquescence only to have it sit on the shelf for the next 5 years. Finally, an upstart label (www.SOUNDandENTERTAINMENT.com) will be releasing this project in limited quantities the first quarter of '07. If you, or anyone else would like to be the first in your area to own it, simply e-mail me (Rick) with the word Liquid Jazz in the "subject" line and send it to: angelrose@att.net and I will personally alert you when they go on sale. 8)
Rick Montoya
CEO/Founder
AngelRose Sound & Entertainment LLC
www.SOUNDandENTERTAINMENT.com
angelrose@att.net
1-888-534-4692

chal3oye

Re: Richard Tabnik

Postby chal3oye » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:20 am

it's only about an hour from midtown to the end of the line on pretty much all of the subway lines. Williamsburg (where Richard is at) to 14th St. is only 2 stops on the L train, about 10/15 minutes.

If you haven't already, you should check out a tenor player named Jimmy Halperin. He has a couple of records out under his own name -PSALM, which is a duo recording of his lines with Sal Mosca, and CYCLE LOGICAL, a trio recording with bass and drums. Very nice. He's also on a recording with Warne Marsh called BACK HOME.

Return to “Artists”