Great artists inspired by Lennie

General Discussion
jostber

Great artists inspired by Lennie

Postby jostber » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:07 am

I can hear the inspiration of Lennie's music in many great Jazz Artists, but most clearly in these(in addition to the obvious ones - Konitz, Marsh..):

Charles Mingus - 50's recordings
Bill Evans - Jazz at the workshop
George Russell - 50's recordings
Anthony Braxton - Tribute record from 1989

Any more input on this subject?

The Bill Evans connection is an interesting one, and the Jazz at the Workshop recording from 1959 is fluent with the long lines and improvised, but structured themes like in Lennie's playing. A great record.

jostber

Borah Bergman

Postby jostber » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:02 am

Borah Bergman - incredible piano player:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=19608

Georg Croll

Re: Great artists inspired by Lennie

Postby Georg Croll » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:04 am

Keith Jarrett => e.g. listen to "Groovin' High" on his "Whisper Not"-album!!!

jostber wrote:I can hear the inspiration of Lennie's music in many great Jazz Artists, but most clearly in these(in addition to the obvious ones - Konitz, Marsh..):

The Bill Evans connection is an interesting one, and the Jazz at the Workshop recording from 1959 is fluent with the long lines and improvised, but structured themes like in Lennie's playing. A great record.

jostber

Seventeen Pieces

Postby jostber » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:53 am

Will check out the Jarret song, sounds like a party mover.

Here's a new pianist using a lot of Tristano inspiration in his playing:

http://www.karayorgis.com/Pages/CDPages ... ieces.html

Re: Borah Bergman

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:29 pm

jostber wrote:Borah Bergman - incredible piano player:

Just curious. What do you like about his playing? His melodic approach? His harmonic approach? His rhythmic approach? I can't sense even the slightest hint of any of these parameters in his playing, not the slightest bit of parametric control associated with "music", any more than I can find it in most of Cecil Taylor's efforts. Does he have a sense of any of these elements he's producing? Allusions are made to Lennie's "free" jazz piano, but there are no similarities to Digression, Intuition, or any of Lennie's other free playing in which all sense of rhythmic, harmonic, and linear control are NEVER completely abandoned as is seemingly present in Borah's music.

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:48 pm

Anonymous wrote:

Just curious. What do you like about his playing? His melodic approach? His harmonic approach? His rhythmic approach? I can't sense even the slightest hint of any of these parameters in his playing, not the slightest bit of parametric control associated with "music", any more than I can find it in most of Cecil Taylor's efforts. Does he have a sense of any of these elements he's producing? Allusions are made to Lennie's "free" jazz piano, but there are no similarities to Digression, Intuition, or any of Lennie's other free playing in which all sense of rhythmic, harmonic, and linear control are NEVER completely abandoned as is seemingly present in Borah's music.

That was my post above (Disciple). I always seem to forget to log in, and realized I misplaced my password, so I resigned in as Disciple2.

-Dan

Disciple2

Postby Disciple2 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:50 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

That was my post above (Disciple). I always seem to forget to log in, and realized I misplaced my password, so I resigned in as Disciple2.

-Dan

Ah! That's better!
A downloadable MP3 file containing some short examples of my jazz improvising (Accompaniament on Fender Rhodes, lead lines on Acoustic piano):

http://d.turboupload.com/d/229801/R1_0001.MP3.html

gecko

Re: Great artists inspired by Lennie

Postby gecko » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:01 am

Also listen to Clare Fischer, e.g. Giant Steps on his "By and with himself"-album (Discovery), also on his "Alone" (MPS) and "Solo Piano Excursions"-album (Concord)!

George

jostber wrote:I can hear the inspiration of Lennie's music in many great Jazz Artists, but most clearly in these(in addition to the obvious ones - Konitz, Marsh..):

Return to “Lennie Tristano”