Death of Billy Bauer June 17, 2005

General Discussion
Scott

Death of Billy Bauer June 17, 2005

Postby Scott » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

Billy died on June 17. :cry:

He always spoke fondly of Lennie and Lennie's incredible playing and style. I had the honor to study with Billy for 7 years in the 1980's and early 1990's. A great teacher but tough and demanding -I sure learned a helluva lot!

A memorial service for Billy is planned in the Fall. I'll keep everyone updated.

Sincerely,

Scott

jostber

Postby jostber » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:39 am

http://ejazznews.com/modules.php?op=mod ... e&sid=4631
http://www.jazzreview.com/forum/dcboard ... esg_id=166

Anyone read the Billy Bauer biography sideman? Anything on Lennie there?

Re: Death of Billy Bauer June 17, 2005

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:51 pm

Scott wrote:Hi Everyone,

Billy died on June 17. :cry:

He always spoke fondly of Lennie and Lennie's incredible playing and style. I had the honor to study with Billy for 7 years in the 1980's and early 1990's. A great teacher but tough and demanding -I sure learned a helluva lot!

A memorial service for Billy is planned in the Fall. I'll keep everyone updated.

Sincerely,

Scott

Very sorry to hear that. Most don't realize just how good Billy was. As good as ANY 20th c. "jazz" guitarists and a brilliant "sideman". How'd you like to be faced with finding yourself comping behind Lennie's playing on "Supersonic" and be able to come up with brilliant complimentary lines to Lennie's already harmonically contrapuntal yet linear excursions? Billy was a tremendous musician and a brilliant improvisionalist with his own unique voice, in his own right, just the same as Lennie, Warne, and Lee.

benny

memorial

Postby benny » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:10 pm

There will be a memorial this sunday and i know Sal Mosca and Jim Hall will be playing along with several others.
The memorial to Billy will take place at St. Peter's Church at the CitiCorp Bldg. at 619 Lexington Ave & 54th St. in NYC at 7pm on Sunday, October 23rd.

bobfield

Billy Memorial

Postby bobfield » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:19 pm

I attended the memorial last night and it was a truly sweet and moving experience. Stories were told about Billy's humor and great spirit by his students and fellow musicians and much wonderful music was made. All the music was created with beautiful feeling as a fitting tribute to Billy Bauer, one of the great and original jazz improvisors.

Return to “Lennie Tristano”