Trumpet players

Artists of the Tristano School
mindlink

Trumpet players

Postby mindlink » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:45 am

Hi!

I'm a trumpet player and a huge fan of Lennie Tristano, and I would love to know which trumpet players who studied with Lennie. Could anyone please help me? I know Don Ferrara, and I also heard that Tony Fruscella took lessons with him, but that's it.

Thanks!

BulaMusliyevich

Re: Trumpet players

Postby BulaMusliyevich » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:26 am

Warne Marsh started playing saxophone with the Hollywood canteen kids when he was thirteen, and Ben Webster and Tex Beneke were among his first idols. His studying and performing with Lennie Tristano from 1946 through 1952 and alter reunions shaped his musical thinking to which he was remarkably true throughout his life.

SupyanKorgay

Postby SupyanKorgay » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:23 am

Trumpeter and flugelhorn player Art Farmer started out playing bop with Horace Silver, Sonny Rollins, Gerry Mulligan and Gigi Gryce throughout the '50s, but the warm toned Farmer later branched out beyond bop. Since he was versed in various styles, he was hired by arrangers like George Russell and Quincy Jones. Farmer co-led the Jazztet in 1959, and with tenor man Benny Golson, and the band's 1960 release Meet the Jazztet was a brilliant disc. As a leader, Farmer released some great albums, including 1963's Live at the Half-Note, which also features guitarist Jim Hall.

arooj

Postby arooj » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:55 pm

The perfect List of contrafact melodies,,,,Ablution, An Oscar for Treadwell, Apple Jump, Back Home in Brooklyn with Donna, visit here for more info en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jazz_contrafacts

kathleenrueb

Postby kathleenrueb » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:37 am

My ambition was to become trumpet player. But it is difficult to get some theoretical notes on this subject. I found some tutorial as well as essays from writing services. Hope that sources would help to get some deep theoretical knowledge along with some practical knowledge.

davidjohnson789

Postby davidjohnson789 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:45 am

Tristano studied for bachelor's and master's degrees in music in Chicago before moving to New York City in 1946. He played with leading bebop musicians and formed his own small bands, which soon displayed some of his early interests – contrapuntal interaction of instruments, harmonic flexibility, and rhythmic complexity. His quintet in 1949 recorded the first free group improvisations. Tristano's innovations continued in 1951, with the first overdubbed, improvised jazz recordings, and two years later, when he recorded an atonal improvised solo piano piece that was based on the development of motifs rather than on harmonies. He developed further via polyrhythms and chromaticism into the 1960s, but was infrequently recorded.

Return to “Artists”