1999 - Musicological Dissertation on Lennie Tristano

Magazine articles and newspaper references to Lennie Tristano.
keith

1999 - Musicological Dissertation on Lennie Tristano

Postby keith » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:15 pm

If you're interested in a pretty detailed analysis of Lennie, contact Eunmi Shim. Lennie was the subject of her Ph.D. dissertation. There's a link a the bottom to her email, her website is at:

http://www.geocities.com/eshim500/tristano.html

where you'll find information on ordering yourself a copy.

Here's the abstract from her website:

LENNIE TRISTANO (1919-1978): HIS LIFE, MUSIC, AND TEACHING
Eunmi Shim, Ph.D.
School of Music
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1999
Lawrence Gushee, Adviser

Abstract

Lennie Tristano was a pioneering jazz musician who, through a succession of innovations, transgressed the boundaries of jazz as well as conventional style categories of jazz history; as a result, his music represents a rare achivement of individuality. For example, in 1949 he made the first recordings of free jazz, a new manner of group improvisation based on spontaneous interaction among band members without any regard to predetermined form, harmony, or rhythm, which predate the free jazz movement by a decade. In the 1950s his use of multi-tracking became a ground-breaking landmark in jazz history; through mixing tracks recorded separately, he could produce unprecedented sounds as exemplified by "Line Up, "Turkish Mambo," and "Descent Into the Maelstrom," the last of which is a remarkable sound structure based on a poem by Edgar Allan Poe. In general, Tristano contributed to the extension of concepts and practices of jazz in terms of advanced harmonic language, rhythmic complexity, and linear construction of the melody. His solo recordings on The New Tristano album, in particular, exhibit the emotional depth and power he attained through these means. Tristano made yet another contribution to the development of jazz as a charismatic teacher, a multi-instruemntalist who taught students of various instruments from the early 1940s until his death in 1978.

As the first musicological treatment of Tristano, this dissertation re-evaluates Tristano's position in jazz history and addresses problems of the current tendency toward canonization of jazz, in which he is misleadingly labeled as a "cool" jazz musician. The research methods combine oral history, archival research, and musical analysis. The main source of oral history comprises interviews conducted by the author with over 80 individuals, including Tristano's family members, associates, and students. A meticulous search through various bibliographic sources, especially contemporary journals which chronicled Tristano's activities, provided a wealth of information concerning the musical environment in which he operated. In discussing Tristano's music a selected number of recordings were transcribed and thoroughly analyzed.

How to order or email the author (at eshim500@yahoo.com)

nikkimerrill

Re: 1999 - Musicological Dissertation on Lennie Tristano

Postby nikkimerrill » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:43 am

If you need an effective essay paper on Musicological Dissertation on Lennie Tristano and having difficulties with regard to complete the paper, go through Australia legal studies dissertation writing service so that you can get good assistance as well as guidance on writing your paper appropriately.

eldarkhanovomar

Postby eldarkhanovomar » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:23 am

Dissertation writing is not an easy task. It is difficult to complete the musicological dissertation on Lennie Tristano. There are several dissertation writing service sites are available. Dissertations in Musicology (DDM) is an international database of bibliographic records for completed dissertations and new dissertation topics in the fields of musicology, music theory, and ethnomusicology, as well as in related musical, scientific, and humanistic disciplines. Currently containing over 16,000 records, including the corrected and updated contents of all earlier printed editions of Doctoral Dissertations in Musicology and supplements contributed from musicological centers throughout the world, the database is fully searchable. Dissertation writing service sites provides tips to write dissertation.
Last edited by eldarkhanovomar on Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lourencohen

Postby lourencohen » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:35 am

Thanks for this info. I am doing my final year studies and doing my project works on Musicological Dissertation on Lennie Tristano. This is the topic given to me by my lecturer. I have found your page while browsing and I guess I will get all info I required from here.
Last edited by lourencohen on Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

janifar47

Postby janifar47 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:24 pm

Need assistance on how to write dissertation writing services .

janifar48

Postby janifar48 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:04 am

Essay writing contact us and get thesis writing service .

janifar48

Postby janifar48 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:34 am

Offbeat travel news, stories & updates for the travellers. Check our Travel Guide for International travel information about the destination & travel mode.

janifar48

Postby janifar48 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:38 am

hi
______________________________________________________________________________________
أفضل مراجعات المنتج

Return to “Periodicals”