Lenny Popkin

Artists of the Tristano School
Adam

Lenny Popkin

Postby Adam » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:26 pm

Hi

His name hasn't popped up here too much (if at all??). One of my favourite tenors...so lyrical and what a sound!!

Has anybody heard Lenny Popkin's new trio album with Carol Tristano (d) and Eddie Gomez (b)? It's called 'New York Moment'
I've just ordered my copy from the french amazon site.
Go to their label website for info and ordering links.
http://www.lifelinerecords.com

I have his album 'Falling Free' on LP (choice records) - does anybody know if it's available on CD??
It's a great trio album (live) with Eddie Gomez and Peter Scattaretico.

Anyone care to share their thoughts.

Cheers
Adam

Adam

Postby Adam » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:48 pm

Nobody's listening to him eh......(maybe you're all on holiday...)

'New York Moment' arrived in the post a couple of days ago. Very nicely recorded and great playing from everyone.

Recommended to his fans. (maybe I'm the only one!)

Bye now,
Adam

Disciple2

Postby Disciple2 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:20 pm

Adam wrote:Nobody's listening to him eh......(maybe you're all on holiday...)

'New York Moment' arrived in the post a couple of days ago. Very nicely recorded and great playing from everyone.

Recommended to his fans. (maybe I'm the only one!)

Bye now,
Adam

Hi Adam! Not too much activity on this forum aside from some fool whose only purpose is to post gambling site links. It's absolutely mind-boggling that Lennie Tristano is truly the man that jazz has forgotten in this modern "jazz" era of sporadic, quartal, limp left hand comps and insipid, predictible, modal right hand patterns played ad nauseum, tune after tune, each pianist sounding no different from the next with their communal "the 100 greatest riffs of Chick, Herbie, Keith, et.al." linear repetoire.

The last time I saw Lennie Popkin was at a small recital in Lennie T's living room in the home that was the first block North of Hillside Ave, off of Midland Pky not long after Lennie T expired. Lennie P played a note for note transcription of Lennie T's recording of East 32nd (Atlantic 1224), fouling off a few dring the performance (lost his way once or twice).
A downloadable MP3 file containing some short examples of my jazz improvising (Accompaniament on Fender Rhodes, lead lines on Acoustic piano):

http://d.turboupload.com/d/229801/R1_0001.MP3.html

Adam

Postby Adam » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:12 am

I believe it's the 'East 32nd' solo that he plays on the Lennie Tristano Memorial Concert recording.
I haven't listened to it in a while, I need to copy it to MD (don't want to wear the vinyl out!)....might try and do it tomorrow.

It's amazing that there are so few fans chatting.

Adam

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:18 am

Adam wrote:It's amazing that there are so few fans chatting.

Adam

Adam, it's appalling, but truly indicative of modern music on a whole. On some piano forums, Diane Krall is heralded as a genius, and don't get me wrong, she can play and she can sing, but as an improvising pianist, absolutely no comparison whatsoever to Connie or Liz!

It's absolutely incredible. You can read post after post of musicians chatting on internet boards and you NEVER hear Lennie T., Ronnie Ball, Sal, or Connie even mentioned. It's like they never existed. 25 years ago, I thought the day would come when folks would realize just how great Lennie T. was. 25 years later, the truth is farther away than it was even then!

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:37 am

I agree. It´s downheartening to talk to musicians who have a very firm grasp on jazz history - except for Lennie! Everybody has heard of him in music school, but very very few have really listened to him. Sal Mosca, Ronnie Ball and Connie Crothers are, as appreciation goes, in oblivion. At least I`m glad I got it, and I try to spread the word whenever I can. What do you people out there suggest would be the best introduction to Lennies music? I´d probably go with some of the stuff from Manhattan Studio.

keith

Postby keith » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:12 am

Disciple2 wrote:The last time I saw Lennie Popkin was at a small recital in Lennie T's living room in the home that was the first block North of Hillside Ave, off of Midland Pky not long after Lennie T expired. Lennie P played a note for note transcription of Lennie T's recording of East 32nd (Atlantic 1224), fouling off a few dring the performance (lost his way once or twice).

I think East 32nd is Lennie's "Eruption"...

Keith

milo

Other Lennie students to check out

Postby milo » Tue May 23, 2006 8:06 pm

Dave Frank, piano
Larry Meyer, guitar
Jimmy Halperin, tenor
Skip Scott, drums
Steve Frank, piano

Return to “Artists”