someone talk

General Discussion

lennie documentary

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:24 pm

i phoned jan horne once, while i was in high school and he sent me a copy. jan horne just passed away a few months ago. but, the owners of the documentary are NRK, wich is the state funded television chanel in Norway. good luck!

Disciple

"Line up"

Postby Disciple » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:54 am

Anonymous wrote:yeah, line up is a real prasing firework! lines from fat city, but im breakin my ears with transcibing it at the time. hey does anyone of you know this documentary film by jan horne "Manhattan Studio"? maybe how to get it?
I´m writing my diploma paper over LT and kept searchin Days for that film, maybe someone could help?

Can't help you with the film but I've got Line up, as well as 317 E32nd transcribed, both prime examples of Lennie's absolute mastery of implied harmonically contrapuntal stretches. They're slightly difficult to play in tempo with the precise phrasing UNLESS you spent some time with Lennie developing the 3rd to 5th fingers to perform as a secondary thumb, fore, and middle finger. If THAT'S the case, get the music for Chopin's Piano Etudes, the opus 25, A-Minor etude. That deals with right hand quarter note chords, connected by ascending and descending 16th note chromatics played with the 3-4-5 fingers. Start slow. Baby steps. Chopin indicated a quarter = 144 tempo. Once you can play that in A minor, TRANSPOSE it to all other keys. If you can accomplish that in quarter = 120, nothing linear that Lennie ever played will prove to be beyond your technical capabilities.

disciple

Re: someone talk

Postby disciple » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:02 am

johnny wrote:talk about lennie tristano.
what's your favourite of his tracks? i like "descent into the maelstrom"

I'd have to say that one of his earliest recordings, "Supersonic", based on "What is this thing called Love", done in 1947 (Savoy), is still my favorite, as harmonically inventive as anything done 20 years later!! If you haven't heard this piece, try obtaining it!!

PerLundin

Postby PerLundin » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:10 pm

what's your favourite of his tracks?

My favorite Tristano composition is Atonement, no doubt about it.

I also think the pianosolo on These foolish things(the "Lennie Tristano" album) is very marvellous- it's such a nice blend of different kinds of block chords, and inspired single-note lines.

I love Lennies chordal playing!

Greetings

jostber

Copenhagen

Postby jostber » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:47 am

Favourite now:

It's you or no one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005 ... nce&n=5174

Great...

B T

Postby B T » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:29 pm

what's your favourite of his tracks? i like "descent into the maelstrom"

BT's Picks - These all fit perfectly on one CD:

1 - Glad Am I
2 - Atonement
3 - Wow
4 - Intuition
5 - Line Up
6 - Requiem
7 - Turkish Mambo
8 - East Thirty-Second
9 - You Don't Know What Love Is (New LT)
10 - G Minor Complex
11 - Scene And Variations
12 - C Minor Complex
13 - Manhattan Studio
14 - Stretch
15 - Darn That Dream (Copenhagen)
16 - Descent Into The Maelstrom
17 - Dream:Paris 1965
18 - Image:Paris 1965

The list is numbered not by favorites, this is the running order on the CD.

Return to “Lennie Tristano”