Do The Math - Article

General Discussion
Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:28 am

I just read Ethan Iverson’s digression on free jazz referred to on page 17 of “Lennie Tristano/Barack Obama.â€
Last edited by Marv Friedenn on Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

B T

Free Playing

Postby B T » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:51 pm

Let me throw in my two cents about this free-form music business. All I can say is that the more one plays completely free, the more some things become apparent. One becomes aware of tapping into the source of all music. That is, “freeâ€

B T

Postby B T » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:24 pm

[quote="Marv Friedenn"]Moving on to 2001, Bud Tristano and Connie Crothers dispose of rhythm altogether, which at once unmoors music from dance and sets it adrift toward . . . what? The visual arts? I would say rather the vibratory arts which include the visual, the audial and the alchemical--that is, the vibratory creation of matter. In any case, with “Primal Eleganceâ€

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:29 am

No problem, B T. In the meantime I've posted Sermon On The Flats on Google Book Search. I wonder if in turn you might "copy and paste" your review of the book? The review is on page 4 of the "New Book Contains Chapter On Lennie" thread. The Google Book Search address is <http://books.google.com/books?id=dcxRPOThss8C&dg=isbn0979201500>

"The transformation of modern-technological civilization must begin with an act of erinnerung [memory] which sets free the forgotten, repressed, denied meanings and utopian hopes and asperations of past revolts."
Seyla Benhabib paraphrasing Herbert Marcuse.

I think "Primal Elegance" and "Sermon" run erinnerung around all over the place!

B T

Postby B T » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:16 am

Done.

http://books.google.com/books?id=dcxRP0Thss8C&printsec=frontcover&dq=marv+friedenn&sig=ACfU3U13Q26-NP8ZfzutwJD_sCtboJYG_A

Regarding Primal Elegance and improvisation. It's important to clarify that the musicians are listening to each other as they're playing.

"The transformation of modern-technological civilization must begin with an act of erinnerung [memory] which sets free the forgotten, repressed, denied meanings and utopian hopes and asperations of past revolt." - Seyla Benhabib paraphrasing Herbert Marcuse.

Yes. And I'm reminded of Pete Townshend's brilliant treatise on failed revolution throughout history: "Won't Get Fooled Again" - that great closing track on The Who's 1971 album Who's Next.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

An appropriate topic to discuss on this, our nation's Independance Day. Appropriate. Very bloody appropriate.

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:25 am

B T, for purposes of reviewing Primal Elegance try this: After "It's like hearing music issuing from two unrelated sources but which coincide with each other with surprisingly high frequency," drop the transitional sentence that begins "If, as on 'Descent Into The Maelstrom"etc and instead add these two new paragraphs:

By combining acoustic piano and electrified guitar, Connie and Bud try for the effect, translated visually, of the moon framed by electric street lamps. But although Connie's moon is full to bursting, the irrepressible lightning flashes of Bud's guitar, "flaming out like shining from shook foil", invariably dims her illumination.

Bud is more himself when he's by himself on "Sound Painting." Once one listens past the haze of machine imagery thrown up by Bud's guitar, one finds oneself spellbound. It's like hearing Orpheus tune up before he makes music.

Return to “Lennie Tristano”