"Tristano"

General Discussion
Marv Friedenn

"Tristano"

Postby Marv Friedenn » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:15 am

Does anyone know the derivation of the name "Tristano?" I know "trist" is the Indo-European root for sad, but that makes no sense. Tristano from Triest? But it's Tristano not Triestano. So does anybody know?

jostber

Postby jostber » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:36 pm

Here's the Italian version:

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tristano

With a little help from Babelfish:

Dervied from the ancient French Tristan or Tristran, probably resumed from the ancient Scottish name Drustano or Drystan, of uncertain interpretation.

B T

Postby B T » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:26 pm

And don't forget, "ano" is a possible root for "year", thus:
"Tristano" - "sad year".

To make matters more intriguing, LT's mother's maiden name was:
"Malano" - "bad year".

I have been told that he used to joke about it, "sad year and bad year".

Also, you can't always go by the exact spelling of names. Immigrants passing through Ellis Island got stuck with whatever phonetic spelling some clerk came up with. For example, the Czech "Jagr" could be a source of names like (Chuck) "Yeager" ...

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:11 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the hint. Y'know, the universe, just like the rest of us, tries to make sense of itself. And so it lends itself to producing intriguing parallels and coincidences just to prove to itself (poor U!) that it exists for a reason and is not just there for the ride. Anyway, Tristano, alias Trystan, Tristan, Droston, Drustanos is an archetypal trickster-figure. In Celtic Drustanos means "thorny," which, I think you'll agree, is one of Lenny's prominent traits. Drustanos is also a shape-shifter, which is why it's so hard to lay hold of Lennie and pin him down. Furthermore, the chief talents of Drystan, one of Drustanos's other variants, are hunting, harping and deception.

Well, I'm not surprised that the most important musical figure in the 20th century turns out to be a world archetype: Tristano the Trickster, the deceiver, the shape-shifter, the magician.

Return to “Lennie Tristano”