New Book Contains Chapter On Lennie

General Discussion
B T

Postby B T » Mon May 07, 2007 9:28 am

Marv Friedenn wrote:What happened to BT? To pass the time until he posts I offer the following review.

Hey Marv,
Home computer died! So until I get another I will just be stoppin in the library for minimal stuff. Its not the most inspiring place to expound philosophically. I sorta feel like we have hijacked Keith's site but no one seems to be complaining so far. At least we are sticking with a few threads.

As far as this multi-tracking business goes, well, it just amuses me. Its just the art of recording. Did you ever see Starry Night? Up close it looks like Vincent just squeezed the paint right out of the tubes. You can even see bits of the blank canvas peeking through. Did paint even come in tubes then? Don't know. Did he use the same kind of brush as all the other painters of the day? Beats me. Is it beautiful? Hell, yeah!

As far as the quartet goes, they were a real treat to hear live.

BT

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Tue May 08, 2007 11:17 am

Keith, since this is your site, you're going to have to arbitrate. Didn't I just nicely prove that the overdub contraversy is part of the commerce vs art debate so important to LT but a source of amusement to BT? Am I not suggesting that Cecil Taylor and Ornette Coleman, who apparently influenced the Crothers-Popkin quartet, finally got bored with Prez and Bird (who always put melody before harmony--as LT did--because melody ties in rhythm more confidently than harmony does) and turned themselves inside out in order to lay bare the soul of creativity but succeeded only in exposing its guts? And didn't Margaret just say when I described BT's appreciation of Starry Night that van Gogh did paint-sculpture?

keith

Postby keith » Thu May 17, 2007 3:20 pm

Hijacked?! No way - stimulated, amused and entertained perhaps...

You know, besides Josten - the one-man-webcrawler, this is the only REAL action on the board. I don't think either one of you could be accused of being off-topic.

And I don't really consider this *my* site, it's a gift to the legacy and the fans of LT!

P.S. I'm really pissed - Starry Night is at the Art Institute in chicago for another couple of days and I when I saw the exhibition a few weeks ago, I didn't get up REALLY close.

Now Old Guitarist by Picasso I did get up close and when you get the right angle, you can see the faint reflection of a painting underneath - the image of a women. A false start of Picassos, or did he buy some cheap paintings to be used as a blank pre-stretched canvas. More multi-tracking? ;)

keith

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Sat May 19, 2007 1:17 am

Marv Friedenn writes, "Traditionally, the right hand dominates the left; the right hand 'sings,' the left hand keeps time, holding up harmonic prompt cards which the right hand recites. Traditionally, the right hand, as it were, owns the improvisation. The left hand works for it: a walking bass; a hand in disgrace. Simply put, the hands represent social classes. The right hand, like the wealthy class, generates the ideas that allow it to maintain its position at the cutting edge of the improvisation. The left hand, like the poor, provides the 'legs' which bear the weight of the improvisation."

Eunmi Shim writes, "Although jazz pianists traditionally functioned as solo instrumentalists by making a strong use of both hands, as in stride piano or boogie-woogie, the left hand was harmonically subordinant to the right-hand melody and did not function to provide a separate melody. Tristano, however, distinguished himself by creating an independent line in his left hand, exhibiting a further evolution in his pursuit of counterpoint."

Francois Billard writes, "Le premier ['Glad Am I' based on 'Yesterdays'] a l'allure d'un grand vaisseau qui vogue majesteusement, veritable cathedrale marine, dont on se demande si elle va choisir de sombrer dans quelque abime ou gagner, d'un coup d'aile le firmament . . . .("The first song appears like a great vessel sailing majestically, a cathedral at sea, about which one wonders whether it's going to sink into an abyss or, its sails suddenly billowing, gain the firmament.") Le second titre ['This Is Called Love' based on 'What Is This Thing Called Love'] est representatif de ce dedoublement de personalite qui affect souvent les mains du pianiste: deux mains, deux tonalites, des mots qui s'echangent et de silences." ("The second song exhibits a division into two of the persona, to which often the hands of the pianist respond: two hands, two tonalities, words exchanged and silences.")

Marv wants to harness the beauty and convert it into justice. Eunmi, to present the beauty as matter of fact. Francois, to clarify the beauty.

B T

Postby B T » Thu May 24, 2007 12:23 pm

Marv Friedenn wrote:Marv wants to harness the beauty and convert it into justice.

Nice thought. However, the problem is, no matter what change you desire to implement, whether it be your own idea, anyone else's, or mine … (AHEM)

MY STANDARD RESPONSE TO THE HUMAN CONDITION (The "YOU" applies generally, and not to anyone in particular):

The following is an opinion of the poster ONLY, and not that of the site owner, webmaster, other posters or even inconsequential visitors who unknowingly have a copy of this page saved in their temporary internet files folder.

For 50 pages of legalese click here. LOL hahahaha!!!

PREAMBLE

Government and Big Business (i.e., the “Military Industrial Complexâ€

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Thu May 24, 2007 8:50 pm

Religions provide reasons why we're alive lest, God forbid, we conclude first of all that we're alive for no reason at all; and secondly, just for the reason that we're alive for no reason at all, we take the liberty of inventing a reason why we're alive which everyone can live with. Now, the reason I suggest in Sermon why we're alive (a modest one, to be sure, scaled to human rather than to divine expectations) is to shorten survival time and increase free time for all. But the only way to shorten survival time is for everyone to cooperate. But cooperation is impossible unless everyone shares equally in the free time that becomes available. So, I advocate equal ownership of the global economy not because I have this thing for equality but because equal reward is the only way to insure cooperation. And cooperation the only way for everyone to have time to play bebop. When everyone's paid the same, there are no bosses, there is no help, there are only workmates equally bent on early retirement.

B T

Postby B T » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:15 pm

Marv Friedenn wrote:... to shorten survival time and increase free time for all ...

Yes. Probably would only require three hours a day if we all cooperated. The reason so many have to put in more time (for less compensation) is that most of the wealth is concentrated in the hands of a few. The "oligarchy" likes it this way.

The sheep believe its "God's will". You have to get out and talk to these people ... its scary. Fundamentalists are from all walks of life. They are not all out of Deliverance. And there are more than one would think. Good Luck!

PS I John 2:15 Taken out of context gives an administration free reign to trash the earth. (stupid heathen tree huggers ...)

B T

Postby B T » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:23 pm

Marv Friedenn wrote:... But the only way to shorten survival time is for everyone to cooperate. But cooperation is impossible unless everyone shares equally in the free time that becomes available. So, I advocate equal ownership of the global economy not because I have this thing for equality but because equal reward is the only way to insure cooperation. And cooperation the only way for everyone to have time to play bebop. When everyone's paid the same, there are no bosses, there is no help, there are only workmates equally bent on early retirement.

Then the uniqueness and variety of us all kicks in:
Joe Blow says ... "hey I can get the same work done in two hours ... I should go home early."
John Doe laments ... "let Bob sweep, he can't do math anyway. Why should I push a broom?"

"I'm working harder"

"are not"

"are so ..."

And while all this is going on,

BT says, "do I have to play bebop?"

Marv Friedenn

Postby Marv Friedenn » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:26 am

BT, you apply present conditions to the future. Nobody pushes a broom in New Marxico who doesn't hold a degree from the Heidelberg Broom Museum whose collection of brooms from everywhere in the world and from all eras is nonpareil. Elmer, for example, sweeps at the Planck Institute. What fun it is to see Elmer and his students sweeping the floor as rapidly as possible so that they can join the physicists at McDonalds for a glass of absinthe.

And by "bebop" I mean whatever.

B T

Postby B T » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:14 am

So, to have your vision of New Marxico converge with The Future, everyone would still have to go to school. Namely, the Heidelberg Broom Museum ... we could have an annex installed in every town. I'm guessing this would be a manifestation of your mission as a substitute teacher. But one person is not going to be enough, not even in LA.

How does one bring this about? And how do you get sheep to care?

THE RIDDLE

A tourist is walking down Hollywood Boulevard. He wants to buy a souvenir to take back to Columbus, Ohio. Does he get the "Map to Star's Homes" or does he buy a watercolor from the vagabond failed architecture student?

Return to “Lennie Tristano”